Requesting feedback for a considered DNS test

Andrew Yourtchenko ayourtch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 16:39:23 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:01:27PM +0200, Andrew Yourtchenko wrote:
>> the v6-only DNS server test always succeeds so far - because I do not
>> have one readily available yet.
>
> Are you missing a DNS server with any v6 connectivity at all, or a DNS
> server with *only* v6 connectivity?
>
> The latter should be easily fixable by setting up a new host name
> ("ns1-v6only.mydomain.com") that only has an AAAA record, and delegate
> a subdomain ("v6only.mydomain.com") there...

yes, but the folks that provide me an abstraction layer for DNS, do
not have this option. Neither NS record in the domain, nor IPv6 for
the nameserver...

They are otherwise are pretty decent, so the orthogonality of their
response when I asked about IPv6 is not yet a showstopper :-)

> We currently don't have v6-only name servers, but if needed, I could
> setup such an alias and point it to the v6 address of one of our
> regular DNS servers - and then have it serve whatever information
> would help your project.

Actually - I pinged Steve and he will help - many thanks again!

> [...]
>> Any comments are likewise very welcome - I made it specifically so
>> others could test.
>
> This is Very Cool Stuff.

Thanks!

There're quite a few cool tools that I've seen around.

Wonder - is there somewhere an IPv6-related wiki which could hold a
page being the directory of those ?

1) for the tool users to know what they can play with
2) for the tool developers to know which kinds of tools exist - so
they could either use or team up with each other.

> I've added the pixel to a (v6 related, of course) page of mine, and
> let's see the outcome :-)

Cool :-)

My plan is to reset the db every month or so, so one can have a
ballpark impression of what's the state of affairs "now".

cheers,
andrew