Linux IPv6 router

Michal Ludvig mludvig at logix.net.nz
Wed Sep 2 01:12:05 CEST 2009

Hi Jeff,

> Could someone contact me off-list concerning setting up an IPv6 router
> using Fedora (Core 11)?  I have done all the things that I can find
> documented but seem to have some issue when it comes to getting the
> Fedora box to route the packet to the next hop (ISP's IPv6-enabled
> router).  Fedora box acting as router can ping6 ISP's router and other
> hosts on the net (eg. ipv6.google.com) but other hosts in my local
> network can't ping anything except other local IPv6 boxes.

1) is packet forwarding enabled?

root at st-6-kth ~ # sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1
net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding = 1

2) are there any firewall rules blocking the traffic?

root at st-6-kth ~ # ip6tables -L FORWARD
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

if there is something in the firwall flush it for testing: ip6tables -F

Michal
--
* smtp-cli.logix.cz -- the ultimate IPv6 command line smtp client