Hosting provider allocation advice

Wouter de Jong wouter at widexs.nl
Fri Oct 16 13:43:04 CEST 2009

Hi,

<..>

> What holds me a bit back though is the use of link-local.
> This would indeed mean that our customers need to manually specify the
> link-local address
> of our router, but if we'd swap interfaces, our link-local would
> change.
> So RA comes indeed into the picture.
> However.... just as with DHCP, you'd need to ensure that only _our_
> equipment can send RA ?
> This can't be enforced I think, without heavy support in your
> access-switches ?
> So if a server receives 20 RA's, which one does it pick ?

What if we would still assign a /64 per vlan,
and assign each server a single IPv6 address out of that /64,
but ALSO would route a /64 to each server (to that single IPv6 address)
?

Then if people would use source-address binding (is Exchange capable of
something like that ?),
they'd just needed to bind their SMTP apps to an IP out of the routed
/64 to not get into
trouble with RBL's that filter on /64.

We'd then still have abusers who could add an un-used IPv6 address from
the /64,
but at least not from the routed /64's. The same story we'd have with
IPv4 at present.

Best regards,

Wouter