Hosting provider allocation advice

Wouter de Jong wouter at widexs.nl
Fri Oct 16 13:11:45 CEST 2009

Hi Bernhard,

This sounds reasonable at first look :)

Our current equipment (for the shared vlan/subnet part) can handle 250
IPv6 interfaces,
so that leaves about 240 customers vlans (which is also about the limit
for our access-switches).
We currently are at ~ 150.
It can also handle only 2000 IPv6 static routes, but that should be
enough for now.

What holds me a bit back though is the use of link-local.
This would indeed mean that our customers need to manually specify the
link-local address
of our router, but if we'd swap interfaces, our link-local would change.
So RA comes indeed into the picture.
However.... just as with DHCP, you'd need to ensure that only _our_
equipment can send RA ?
This can't be enforced I think, without heavy support in your
access-switches ?
So if a server receives 20 RA's, which one does it pick ?

Also, we don't have support for private vlans in our access-switches at
the moment.

(Yes, we probably need new equipment :>)

<..>

Best regards,

Wouter