Question about 6to4

Martin List-Petersen martin at airwire.ie
Fri May 15 00:04:31 CEST 2009

Steve Wilcox wrote:
> Hey Ted,
>  you sort of answered your own question - the aggregate is announced as an
> anycast and the v6 routing table doesn't know where the individual v6
> packets are destined.
>
> So the v6 packets find their way to the nearest 6to4 relay, that then
> converts to v4 and its routed out as v4. As you say HE is one major sink for
> that, as a result of them being so well connected.
>
> Thats one of the downsides with 6to4 - the packet may go in the wrong
> direction in v6 before passing through the relay and then heading in the
> opposite direction to find the v4 endpoint.

And just to add to that, the v4 side works exactly the same. The anycast
prefix there is 192.88.99.0/24.

In our case (we're in Ireland), the relays in our path were in Sweden,
Germany and Italy, which never is a good result, so we set our own
gateway up.

Now, talking about 6to4, 6to4 is never to be preferred. If you can get
people to use native IPv6, you should at any time prefer that solution,
or 6in4 tunnels for that sake.

The issue with 6to4 is exactly it's anycast nature.

Let's say, I'm using 6to4 and I'm connecting t a native IPv6 host. My
traffic goes to the nearest gateway announcing 192.88.99.0/24 and is
translated to IPv6 there. Now the IPv6 host answers, and the answer goes
to it's nearest 6to4 host that announces 2002::/16.

This gateway does not have to be the same as the one I used and if any
one of them is but, nothing works. The issue is, that without having
access to both ends of that connection, I can't even troubleshoot it, so
it's often very difficult to diagnose where things went wrong with 6to4
to solve it.

It is a migration mechanism and nothing more than that. It should be
treated like that.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen

--