How to choose IPv6 addresses for customer links?

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Fri Jan 30 21:38:00 CET 2009

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 09:54:18AM -0600, Dan White wrote:
>
>> It seems that splitting out a /64 and routing to a specific IP defeats
>> the purpose of having router advertisements.
>>

> Router-Advertisements are not actually there to exchange information
> *among routers* - they convey information about things *on* this link,
> and not behind the other box.
>
> For your design, a routing protocol is what you want to use - preferably
> BGP (= easy filtering).
>
> Gert Doering
>         -- NetMaster

Yeah, I'm definitely confused.

In the case where a customer router is performing DHCP prefix
delegation, is the provider router installing a route at the time of
assignment?

With BGP, I suppose I will need to know the customer's two router
addresses (or link layer addresses) at configuration time.

- Dan