How to choose IPv6 addresses for customer links?

Martin List-Petersen martin at airwire.ie
Fri Jan 30 20:14:52 CET 2009

Sebastian Abt wrote:
> * Martin Horneffer wrote:
>> My understanding would be that it might be best to select one /64 out
>> of the customer's /48. And to route the complete /48 to one address of
>> that /64.
>> Thus the customer can easily put their hosts in the simple /64 if they
>> only have layer-2 devices.
>> Or they can set up their own router. It would have to use the address
>> mentioned above from the link network and can use up to 65535 more /64
>> subnets. They lose one /64 for the link network, though.
>
> This is exactly what we do with our DSL-based IPv6 offer.  Worked for us
> as well as for our customers so far.  While I see the issues with this
> adressing scheme Jeroen mentioned, personally I don't believe that
> they're relevant in practice.  Our motivation basically was to have a
> /48 assigned to/reserved for a customer and to not have to think about
> further adresses for this client.

With residential or consumer customers the need a seperate /64 (from the
/48) shouldn't really arise. (talking about BGP etc.)

Also from an allocation perspective it might be easier to just allocate
a /48 (or reserve it), because you can give the customer a /64, increase
it to /56 or /48 on demand.

Obviously the claim could be made, that the SixXS approach is more IP
conserving.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen
--