How to choose IPv6 addresses for customer links?

Sebastian Abt sabt at sabt.net
Fri Jan 30 19:07:35 CET 2009

* Martin Horneffer wrote:
> My understanding would be that it might be best to select one /64 out
> of the customer's /48. And to route the complete /48 to one address of
> that /64.
> Thus the customer can easily put their hosts in the simple /64 if they
> only have layer-2 devices.
> Or they can set up their own router. It would have to use the address
> mentioned above from the link network and can use up to 65535 more /64
> subnets. They lose one /64 for the link network, though.

This is exactly what we do with our DSL-based IPv6 offer.  Worked for us
as well as for our customers so far.  While I see the issues with this
adressing scheme Jeroen mentioned, personally I don't believe that
they're relevant in practice.  Our motivation basically was to have a
/48 assigned to/reserved for a customer and to not have to think about
further adresses for this client.

regards,
sebastian

--