IPV6 BGP flapping caused by duplicate OSPFV3 router ID

Antonio Querubin tony at lava.net
Sun Aug 9 13:16:23 CEST 2009

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009, Herlianto wrote:

> We have deployed IPV6 over IPV4 tunnel, but at some site we facing the
> problem for BGP and OSPFV3.
>
> The BGP Flapping and at the log there is command as shown below :
> Aug  9 08:08:39.089: %OSPFv3-4-DUP_RTRID_AREA: Detected router with
> duplicate router ID x.x.x.x in area 0
> Aug  9 08:09:46.644: %OSPFv3-4-DUP_RTRID_AREA: Detected router with
> duplicate router ID x.x.x.x in area 0
>
> for OSPF V3  with the command : #show ipv6 ospf neighbor there is some
> different interface tunnel but the neighbor ID is same
>
> Is there any experience and any suggestion to solve it ?

If you run multiple 6to4 gateway routers make sure 192.88.99.1 is not
being selected as the default router ID.  Pick one interface whose address
you do want to use as the router ID and then lock that down in both the
OSPF, OSPFv3, and BGP configs as the router ID.  You may want to use your
loopback interface address for this.

router ospf nn
  router-id a.a.a.a
router bgp xxxxx