IPV6 BGP flapping caused by duplicate OSPFV3 router ID

Mike Leber mleber at he.net
Sun Aug 9 11:41:08 CEST 2009

While not necessarily your problem, make sure you add IPv6 addresses to
your router loopback interfaces, just like you do for IPv4.

Also make sure to add IPv6 addresses for any interfaces you enable IPv6
on, otherwise they may come up in OSFP with IPv6 link local addresses.

(Just mentioning these two because I've seen stuff like this before.)

Though you almost certainly do, if you don't have a loopback interface
configured and you run OSPF, you should read about why you want one (the
OSPF and BGP tutorials for Cisco and lots of other vendors cover this).
(This also can cause the problem you mention below if you happen to have
multiple routers configured for either anycast or you use the same
RFC1918 IP for an internal well known service like caching DNS.  i.e. no
loopback means the same IP may be picked on multiple routers as the
router ID if you have the same IP on multiple routers.)

Mike.

--
| Mike Leber        Wholesale IPv4 and IPv6 Transit      510 580 4100 |