Sprint IPv6

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu Oct 2 10:39:27 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 10:33:09AM +0200, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
> >> have you seen issues with providers/peers that use 6PE?
> > Oh yes.  Especially with this one.
>
> without entering in a "let's blame my provider" contest, can you tell
> us what kind of problems did you see? I'm interested because we also
> use 6PE and, besides that time I disabled mpls on a link trying to
> solve a different problem, I have not received any feedback (positive
> or negative) from my customers. Usually, that means things just work,
> but you can never tell

As a customer, we really really dislike seeing 6PE used in our upstreams'
networks because it means that traceroute6 is becoming useless - you can
see that "there is a problem somewhere in the upstream network", but
you have no chance of pinpointing things like packet loss or (worse)
black holes to the routers/links where it's happening.

In this specific case, there were some problems with RSVP reservations
that led to MPLS tunnels going down completely in case of link outages,
which the control plane didn't notice - so BGP claimed "everything is
fine" while the data packets disappeared into a big black hole.

(I'm not sure on the underlying details, as we've never done 6PE+RSVP,
but that's how things have been explained to me).

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  128645

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279