fixed configuration 48 port layer 3 routers

Mike Leber mleber at he.net
Fri Nov 7 01:03:07 CET 2008

Hi, I'd like to hear what solutions people are using as a fixed
configuration 48 port layer 3 router (for customer aggregation) that
supports OSPFv3 and IPv6 (BGP a plus but not required), and a rough
price that it cost.

We've been evaluating (and using) various boxes over the years and so
far all the solutions have the same high per port cost as a core router.

I'm looking for something the is the same or close to the cost we'd see
for fixed configuration IPv4 routers, so that we have a good answer for
what to tell people to use (other than core routers or quagga and switches).

Considerations are:

layer 3 wirespeed IPv6 and IPv4 routing
OSPFv3
at least 8000 ARP entries *with* IPv6 enabled
48 ports
10/100/1000 copper
optional 10GE uplink
BGP a plus, but not required.

Mike.

--
| Mike Leber        Wholesale IPv4 and IPv6 Transit      510 580 4100 |