Ipv6 Routing (from hell)

Michael Taht m at teklibre.com
Fri Mar 28 15:14:31 CET 2008

Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> > There is one HUGE benefit to running it that way: one can customize
> > > them.
>>
>> yeah, sure, _you_ can.  But my parents can't.  They just want to send
>> email and do google searches and so forth.  People of their ability
>> totally dominate the internet population.
>
> Your parents? You misunderstood me completely. They just need to be
> able to plug in stuff, just like they do now, to make it clearer:
>
>  - ISP buys boxes
>  - ISP installs their custom distro
I would kind of like to shortcut even that.

ISP buys boxes pre-flashed with their custom distro
>  - ISP supplies box to user
>  - user plugs in box
>  - box works
>
> Then ISP wants to enable feature X, thus ISP logs in to box and
> upgrades it. Yeah, feature X!
I love ipkg for this reason. And pdsh.
> Presto done. Feature X could be IPv6, or Multicast, or a special setup
> for the user etc. Actually, when I think of it a bit more, I would
> only allow the user to change 'their' config by them logging into the
> management website of ISP, which then pushes configs out, that way the
> ISP has all the configs, thus in the case of a new box or something
> weird you can just push the config out or check them. Only thing that
> the box would supply then is a status page with "it works".
I note that putting the web server on the router is very expensive in
terms of cpu, memory, and flash. It generally dwarfs all the other
things running on it. Making it pretty and user bugproof takes a long time.

So being able to provision separately (as we do with SIP phones) makes a
lot of sense. The dashboard concept of http://www.open-mesh.com/ has a
lot of appeal.
> Only bad thing is that the ISP will have to do a lot of development
> and testing on these boxes, broken upgrades are then suddenly hell of
> course ;) But you can brand it completely to your own tastes then.
The testing room at powertv had two separate networks consisting of
thousands of CPE devices each. It glowed real pretty in the dark. I
shudder to think of what it cost to setup, just the remote control power
switches they used alone must have cost a fortune. They, however, had to
simulate events like power to 50,000 CPEs fails and then comes back on,
and then flickers out....