Ipv6 Routing (from hell)

Nick Hilliard nick-lists at netability.ie
Fri Mar 28 15:00:56 CET 2008

> Your parents? You misunderstood me completely. They just need to be able
> to plug in stuff, just like they do now, to make it clearer:

Nope, they also need:

- a factory reset button
- a very simple web interface for configuring things like wireless
settings, etc
- an "advanced" button for people who need to do tech support on the boxes.

> Only bad thing is that the ISP will have to do a lot of development and testing on these boxes,

But how is this quantitatively different from the boxes they outsource at
the moment?  They are ISPs - they don't want to develop software for their
own DSL boxes;  they want white-box solutions which they can self-label,
and that's all.  In-house development is a cost centre and a support pain.

ISPs don't want to own or manage the CPE devices, because that brings in a
huge area of liability and support management.  It's a money-losing pain in
the ass, and they don't want to go there.

Nick