Ipv6 Routing (from hell)

Michael Taht m at teklibre.com
Fri Mar 28 02:18:59 CET 2008

Steve Bertrand wrote:

>>> We are a small ISP in southern Ontario Canada, and even with our
>>> 100Mbps LANx connection, can not get native IPv6 from our upstream.
>>> The temporary solution for the el-cheapos (as you put it) is obviously
>>> tunneling, but the real fix and long term solution is a massive
>>> collective vocal "we want IPv6!!" by all of the DSL consumers to their
>>> ISPs.
>>>
>> A very open and interesting discussion about the difficulties of rolling
>> out IPv6 ADSL services to consumers from a large ISP's standpoint is at:
>>
>> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/928341.html
>
> Thank you.
>
> I'm sorry if I offended anyone that run ISPs who have investigated the
> migration. It was not my intention to put down anyone who is actively
> pursuing implementing IPv6 by any means...
>
> My main point was to get people vocal about it.
No, no, I appreciate your enthusiasm and frustration. I share it.
Although I had nothing to do with that particular conversation I've had
several others in the past. What is nice about that above url, is that
usually (as you complain, below), that queries about ipv6 go into a
black hole and never escape.  My lack of dialog with comcast and verizon
and a dozen other smaller ISPs mirror your experience. When profits are
razor thin, and regulations thick, thinking about tomorrow can be
expensive.

Internode employees up to and and including the CEO, have been very
vocal about their issues with IPv6 deployment and I applaud them for
staying engaged, even occasionally testy - in public. There are some
wonderful discussions and educational to be had all over that site, it's
about the most engaged, informative, open (and *current*) discussion of
ipv6 deployment issues I've yet found.

 http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-search.cfm?s=37755&r=1356483 is
the result of an "ipv6" search.

It sounds like Europe and Japan have largely solved these issues, and
are several years ahead of America and Australia. Nicaragua is easily
7-8 years behind in many respects.

I'd be very interested to know what technologies are used in Europe to
bring IPv6 to the doorstep. It sounds like ADSL2 is not presently the
right path from a CPE and DSLAM perspective. Verizon, in the states,
with fiber to the premise, looks like a real win, and people are
flocking to their service in droves, without ipv6 being available yet.
What else is available?

> Please understand that I come from a situation that I get no response
> when I ask about IPv6 for my feed (100Mb fibre) from my upstream. I
> suspect that in your case anyone who inquires of you, receives at
> minimum a response back in regards to the request...

I don't work for them. Don't work for anyone at all, really, I sold my
house last year and have been on a sabbatical, traveling the world,
seeing how the Net is actually being (ab)used - looking to emigrate
somewhere, working on some interesting ideas, ever since.

If you are having a bad day coping with the net, which it sounds like
you are - have a listen to
http://www.taht.net/uncle_bills_helicopter.html . It has a really nice
bit about space, and solving Y2K and what better stuff lies ahead. (the
audio is better than the written speech, IMHO)