Google and IPv6

Erik Kline ek at google.com
Mon Mar 17 03:34:56 CET 2008

2008/3/16 Alex Howells <alex at bytemark.co.uk>:
> Erik Kline wrote:
>  > Here's hoping our little experiment goes well.  /me crosses fingers
>
>  Looking good from here!  Thanks for the new toy to tinker with ;)
>  Definitely waiting for mail.google.com/a/yourdomain to work with IPv6
>  though - maybe on my Xmas Wishlist for 2009? :D

I too would love to reach gmail over IPv6.

>  I agree with what other posters have mentioned about AAAA records not
>  being ready for primetime on a service like www.google.com :) Potential
>  reachability issues are nothing to be trivialized and in my limited
>  experience quad-A records have had a somewhat unpredictable effect upon
>  DNS resolution time / success rate / complexity.

Speaking personally, I have seen analysis of neither client behaviour
nor connectivity in the IPv6 Internet today.  Are things really as bad
as folks say or is it partly a kind of "urban legend of horribleness"
that persists from earlier tests with less-mature operating systems
and less reliable connectivity?  I  just have 6to4 at home and my Mac,
Linux, and XP boxes all seem to work just fine.

>  If you can discuss at all, could you comment on how much of Google is
>  IPv6 connected (internally) at the moment or plans for the future?

As you might expect I can't really comment.  As for publicly announced
plans I'll have to defer to Vint and others.  But I'm not fired yet,
so ... back to work I go!  :)

-Erik