Google and IPv6

Sander Steffann s.steffann at computel.nl
Fri Mar 14 18:04:35 CET 2008

Hi

> My own personal experience with running a A/AAAA record host is that
> many issues can crop up related to reachability and performance.  With
> Linux, Mac OS X, and now Vista hosts autoconfiguring out of the box, a
> broken route prefix announced means that a AAAA host can suddenly
> become
> unreachable.  Of course, if the relay is properly replying with
> no-route-to-host then the client will quickly fail over to IPv4 but if
> it silently drops packets A/AAAA hosts are basically unreachable over
> either.

We are putting a script as described on
http://www.daork.net/archives/category/ipv6-www-test on our websites. That
way we know the impact of adding AAAA records. Here are some stats from our
website www.computel.nl:

Percentage succesful IPv4:        100 % (55062)
Percentage succesful IPv6:          1 % (810)
Percentage succesful IPv6+IPv4:    99 % (54625)

Average delay succesful IPv4:         340.69 ms
Average delay succesful IPv6:         480.44 ms
Average delay succesful IPv6+IPv4:    403.75 ms

IPv4 uses a hostname with only an A record, IPv6 with only an AAAA record,
and IPv6+IPv4 uses a hostname with both records.

- Sander