Google and IPv6

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Mar 14 14:30:51 CET 2008

My recommendation is that date centers/hosting services also deploy local
6to4 and Teredo relays. My experience show that this sort out the problem of
broken relays between your server and the customers. It is really easy and
trouble free.

The other issue, of course, is people filtering proto41, but of course, this
is like people that filters ICMP, or whatever, and the only thing you can do
on that is to ask the upstreams to sort it out all the path thru.

> De: Dan Noe <dpn at isomerica.net>
> Responder a: <ipv6-ops-bounces+jordi.palet=consulintel.es at lists.cluenet.de>
> Fecha: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:16:50 -0400
> Para: <ipv6-ops at lists.cluenet.de>
> Asunto: Re: Google and IPv6
>
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 07:58:41AM -0400, Fred Baker wrote:
>> at the risk of sounding a trifle unthankful, I wonder whether the two
>> AAAA records could be added to that for www.google.com, making the
>> standard google search bar reachable by IPv6. It would be nice if as
>> a result of the relevant engineer's work Google now had a service
>> that was in common use and measurable by google in such a way as to
>> guide them to widen it over time.
>
> My own personal experience with running a A/AAAA record host is that
> many issues can crop up related to reachability and performance.  With
> Linux, Mac OS X, and now Vista hosts autoconfiguring out of the box, a
> broken route prefix announced means that a AAAA host can suddenly become
> unreachable.  Of course, if the relay is properly replying with
> no-route-to-host then the client will quickly fail over to IPv4 but if
> it silently drops packets A/AAAA hosts are basically unreachable over
> either.
>
> Unfortunately, thus far it seems the vast majority of network admins
> are unaware of this issue and when I raised it with a University admin
> years ago they simply claimed they "weren't responsible for IPv6" and
> refused to do anything to identify the party running the broken router.
>
> Of course, if Google suddenly added A/AAAA records this issue would go
> away a lot quicker since everyone would be acutely aware of it :) But I
> don't think they want to deal with the negative consequences of reduced
> reachability in the meantime.
>
> Cheers,
> Dan
>
> --