Connectivity issues and packet inspection

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Jun 19 18:12:02 CEST 2008

Patrick Grossetete wrote:
>         Not available on IOS, neither on any OS client I am aware of...
> We do support stateless DHCPv6 to propagate information such as DNS
> server, SIP server,...
> As DNS is only one of the network services you need to know about

Granted that I have not read RFC-5006 yet...a silly thought popped into
my head.

Perhaps in some cases, a client without an explicitly defined DNS
resolver address sends along DNS names up to it's default gateway in the
same manner that it would send an off-link destined packet. If the
router were also a DNS resolver, it could translate the name on the fly ;)

...off to read 5006.

Steve