Connectivity issues and packet inspection

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Jun 19 03:25:02 CEST 2008

Erik Kline wrote:

> Somehow that box doesn't have a netmask properly set on the at
> interface.  Following Phil's instructions "netsh; ineterface ipv6;
> show routes" I see a 2001:4860:...::/64 entry.  This is an autoconf
> line, learned from the RA, and I understand you have statically
> assigned the address.  I don't know how in Windows but I'd see if you
> can statically assign a netmask, possibly "netsh; interface ipv6; set
> route ...".

Thanks.

The lack of /64 is all I needed to hear in order for it to make sense.
I'll look up some documentation on how to change it.

> Good luck, though.

Its not that its hard, its just that it is 'different'.

> Vista support of IPv6 seems much better than XP,
> so I'm told.

...colleagues tell me that enabling IPv6 addresses within Vista causes
all sorts of sporadic and intermittent network connectivity problems
with their IPv4 communication...however, they are not really network
people, so it could be coincidence.

I just want to find out for myself whether it will play nice.

I'll look further into the prefixlen issue. Nice catch!

Steve