Connectivity issues and packet inspection

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Jun 19 02:56:11 CEST 2008

Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Erik Kline wrote:
>
>> Possibly a configuration issue on the client?  I should think that ::5
>> should have been able to tell that ::b6 was on-net and used regular ND
>> to find it, rather than sending the ping to the router.  Is there any
>> config data for the (non-router) box?

I can confirm that the ICMPv6 redirect when I communicate between a FBSD
box, and ::b6 (FBSD) is not generated by the router.

It only happens from my XP box. I'm going to try Vista from a colleagues
workstation to see the effect there.

I personally don't like it. Just adds overhead to the router. Hopefully
I track it down to a config issue at my end.

Hopefully someone else has a setup where this can be tested and
documented that requires minimal effort to do so, just so I can compare
results.

Also, any other feedback as to how to troubleshoot this further from
someone who knows the innards of Windows better than I do (I'm purely a
FreeBSD person) would be great.

Steve