IPv6 deployment problems over Redback and DSL

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Jan 17 10:46:31 CET 2008

Anyone? :)

Greets,
  Jeroen

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:27:37 -1000 (HST)
From: Antonio Querubin <tony at lava.net>
To: v6ops at ops.ietf.org
Subject: deployment problems over Redback and DSL

We're testing provisioning of IPv6 to broadband DSL users and have hit a
snag.  The ILEC that provides us DSL transport does so using a supposedly
layer-2 transparent system.  The remote DSL site that we're using for this
test comes in on a frame-relay PVC which we bridge to a VLAN on our
network.  The VLAN and DSL pass IPv4 traffic without any problems.  The
VLAN passes IPv6 traffic as well.  However, IPv6 traffic seems to be
blocked somewhere in the DSL system which consists of a Redback SMS-500,
the ILEC's frame-relay/ATM network, the remote CO DSLAM and finally the
remote site DSL CPE (a Westell DSL modem).  The path looks something like
this:

VLAN --- Redback SMS-500 --- FR/ATM cloud --- DSLAM --- DSL CPE --- switch

Currently I suspect the IPv6 ethernet frames are being blocked somewhere
because IPv6 ND seems to be non-functional in the above network except on
the VLAN and switch at each end.  I've looked over the manuals for the
Redback SMS-500 (running AOS 5.0.6) and the Westell DSL modem and neither
mentions anything specific about filtering or blocking some types of
ethernet frames.  That would suggest that there's something suspect with
the ILEC's FR/ATM network or their DSLAMs.  I've asked the ILEC to start
looking at this problem but I'm also still wary that it may still be an
issue with the Redback or the Westell modem regardless of what their
manuals imply.

Has anyone run into a similar problem before, or have successfully (or
not) bridged IPv6 over a Redback router or Westell DSL modem?

Antonio Querubin
whois:  AQ7-ARIN