Problems with whois.ripe.net

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Fri Feb 29 00:42:18 CET 2008

Niels Bakker wrote:

>> RIPE is multihomed with a prefix from Surfnet. I may not reach RIPE
>> via CW and surfnet will never be tried.
>>
>> When shall RIPE begin to use an address that works? This problem
>> arises quite often.
>
> You mean the RIPE NCC?  When the RIPE community (i.e., you and me and
> all of us) decide that the RIPE NCC is worth a routing slot in the
> global IPv6 routing table.  As in, PI.

Awww, come on. I really do feel the pain of the missing PIv6 for certain
operations, but blaming the bad bad PI policy for each and every problem
is a bit short-sighted. The trace posted by Trond (and the replies)
showed that either C&W (which do carry the RIPE /42!) screwed up in
forwarding or, more likely in light of Gerts reply, RIPE had no or a
broken route back. How exactly is that issue supposed to be fixed by PI?

Related note: RIPE doesn't even have a route6-object for their prefix in
their own database.

Regards,
Bernhard