L2 VLANs, intermediate network and L3 management (LONG)

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Thu Aug 21 11:05:00 CEST 2008

<snip>
>Will this work?
>
>Will using IPv6 as a dynamic management 'hack' work in this regard?

Sure, if you have access to all the kit, you can manage via link local, no need
to configure anything specific.

This would mean though that you have to be on the router in order to reach the CPE.

The alternative is to use ULA (RFC4193) as global but this could be problematic as you deploy
v6 authentic global addresses to your clients, they will want real addressing, you would have to overlap.

Now, if we hadn't deprecated the site local scope.......

>If you've read this far, I appreciate it. Honestly, I'm typing with a
>high fever and without having slept properly for a few days due to being
>very ill.

Good luck, and hope you get better :)

Dave.