IPv6 NS glue registration (was Re: getting DNS config to clients)

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Tue Apr 22 18:13:18 CEST 2008

On 22 Apr 2008, at 03:44 , Phil Pennock wrote:

> On 2008-04-21 at 21:15 -0400, Joe Abley wrote:
>> The nameservers serving INFO will simply return referrals in
>> response to a
>> query for a name in the EXAMPLE.INFO domain with no courtesy glue
>> in the
>> additional section of the response, and resolvers will do separate
>> lookups
>> to obtain addresses for those nameservers (which will then normally
>> be
>> cached). If either or both of those nameservers have AAAA records
>> but no A
>> records, that's entirely supported today, and there should be no
>> special
>> gymnastics required on the part of registrars.
>
> Right.  Now bootstrap this: get the one NS server with IPv6 glue
> registered, through a registrar, to let you list that NS server
> elsewhere.

But you're talking about a case where glue is required. I'm talking
about the case when glue is not required.

I can add a host object for NS.EXAMPLE.ORG in the INFO registry with
no address, which is sufficient for me to link ORG domains to the
NS.EXAMPLE.ORG host.

My point is that if glue is not required, and host registration can be
done without specifying an address, then any registrar will do and
they do not need any special "v6 readiness".

Joe