IPv6 NS glue registration (was Re: getting DNS config to clients)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Sun Apr 20 17:41:09 CEST 2008

Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2008-04-17 at 05:11 -0400, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>> As a (small) ISP and a relay-type name registrar, who do you deal with that
>> can provide me with IPv6 DNS entries at the domain registrar level?
>
> You mean, handle AAAA glue records?
>
> I have a number of personal domains registered through joker.com who can
> do handle this; they have various reseller interfaces which I've not
> investigated in depth.
>
> They didn't handle an NS record which _only_ has AAAA and no A; they go
> for A or A+AAAA where I wanted them split as I have more confidence that
> resolvers can skip unreachable servers than that they'll retry all of
> the IP addresses for a given server if one address is unreachable.
> Joker's support were kind enough to set this up manually for me.

Interesting. Can you disclose who handled that or how you reached the
right person, as the last response I heard of from Joker was "Doesn't
understand the concept of glue records, thinks you want managed hosting
which does support AAAA records"

I'd rather update that to green and know how to get them to set it up
though for http://www.sixxs.net/faq/dns/?faq=ipv6glue, which would also
mean that we can update ns{1|2|3}.sixxs.net to have AAAA records which
would be neat.

Greets,
  Jeroen