current usage of AAAA implicit MX?

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Apr 15 12:09:17 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:12:06PM +0930, Michael Taht wrote:
> I implemented three ipv6/ipv4 dual stack email servers a while back. The
> ONLY connections I've ever seen on it from the public internet have been
> IPv4, except from my own machines.

Excluding locals, I see about 100 different hosts doing incomming
IPv6 SMTP each month for about 14K smtp sessions. Now, I probably
see about 1000000 different IPv4, but I suspect alot of those are
bots who try a couple of sessions and move on, as I only see maybe
5000000 smtp sessions in total.

(I guess this is an indication that IPv6 deployment is higher among
mail server operators than bots.)

On the outgoing side, about 50 domains that we deliver to with IPv6
SMTP over the last month.

To get you some test mail over IPv6, we need to get the cluenet list
delivered over IPv6 SMTP ;-)

	David.