current usage of AAAA implicit MX?

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 12:05:49 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:12:06PM +0930, Michael Taht wrote:
> SM wrote:
> > I'm assuming that a number of email sites over in Asia are already
> > IPv6-enabled, and there are probably other enclaves as well. So I'm
> > looking for information on actual email deployment and sites.
> >
> I implemented three ipv6/ipv4 dual stack email servers a while back. The
> ONLY connections I've ever seen on it from the public internet have been
> IPv4, except from my own machines.

You should get a copy of this mail via IPv6 from us, as well as the
list copy via IPv4 (I assume).    Happy to follow up off-list.

We are compliant with the RFC, but the 'simplest' way by having all
external facing MXes dual-stack, with a v4 and v6 record per MX.
We get a fair bit of v6 transport mail, but that's because we tend
to exchange mail with other sites that have some deployment via
projects etc.   We can hook up some MRTG stats on that soon, but I
can get a feel for the (rather low!) volume by querying our netflow
data via nfsen.

--
Tim