current usage of AAAA implicit MX?

Michael Taht m at teklibre.com
Tue Apr 15 04:42:06 CEST 2008

SM wrote:
> I'm assuming that a number of email sites over in Asia are already
> IPv6-enabled, and there are probably other enclaves as well. So I'm
> looking for information on actual email deployment and sites.

I implemented three ipv6/ipv4 dual stack email servers a while back. The
ONLY connections I've ever seen on it from the public internet have been
IPv4, except from my own machines.

My principal problem with implementing dual stack email has been with
STARTTLS certificate support. At the time I hadn't (still haven't)
figured out how to create a postfix cert that was correct for both

"mail.teklibre.com"
"mail.ipv6.teklibre.com"

Originally I went with mx records specific to the ipv6 and ipv4, ie:

MX 10 mail.ipv6.teklibre.com
MX 20 mail.teklibre.com

Only to run into that cert issue. (I suppose it's resolvable. I would
like STARTTLS be mandatory for IPv6 sites, but that's me, and contrary
to established practice)

So I made mail.teklibre.com have both an A and AAAA record in DNS, and
made that the only MX record for the domain. Thus far I only have issues
when I have no real ipv6 connectivity, but ipv6 is enabled. Incoming
from the internet, well, can't tell. (Any  bounces from me out there?
Slowness?)

I know that neither of these have much to do with the RFC in question.

I've been documenting my experiments with ipv6 on my blog via tag:

http://the-edge.blogspot.com/search/label/ipv6

Haven't seen a lick of spam via ipv6, which is a plus. Mail over ipv6
gets through in a 90s style (and refreshing) split second because I have
no rbls....