BCP: Slicing a /32 for an ISP

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon Apr 14 15:53:05 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 03:39:14PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> It would be really awesome if people who request a /32 actually did
> their work properly and calculated how much space they really need.

We did.  We wanted a lot and got a /35.  Bah.  Took me years to change
this into a /32... :-)

In general, I agree with Jeroen, but it's not *that* easy.  Most of the
smaller ISPs in Europe will not have more than 30k customers in the
near future - and thus won't be able to justify anything bigger than
a /32 anyway.  Those that *do* have more than 30k customers usually
know, and get bigger network blocks, right away (just saw a /26 go to
HanseNet...).

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  110584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279