BCP: Slicing a /32 for an ISP

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Mon Apr 14 15:39:14 CEST 2008

Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Quick to the point:
>
> Has anyone done any documentation on how they decided to slice up their
> IPv6 allocation?
>
> I'm pulling hairs deciding on a tactical solution for the long-term in
> regards to how I should 'cut up' my /32.

Now, I unfortunately have to be a bit nasty again but.... (generally
targeting people to maybe wake them up a little bit, hopefully they read
this nasty comment before requesting... ;)

I do hope that you know how large a /32 is and how many customers you
could potentially serve with it?

I also hope that you made an actual allocation plan and passed that in
when you are going to request or when you requested your prefix from
your favorite RIR.

Because, if you 'simply requested a /32' without doing the math, there
are a few number of possibilities:
  - you where lucky
     - you will never have more than 65k customers

  - you made a mistake
     - you already have more than 65k customers
     - you will have more than 65k customers in a few years
     - you will force your customers and give them only a /128
       even though $RIRs allocate you space based on /48's
       (or /56 optionally in ARIN land)

Just asking though... as it seems a lot of ISP's are 'simply requesting
a /32' while they actually don't have a clue on what a /32 is and how
little amount of space that actually is.

Funny thing is that they then are like "but a /20 is hugeeee" for such a
little ISP like D-TAG/France Telecom etc, forgetting that they simply
plan ahead over the next couple of decennia and that they don't want to
bother with renumbering during that period.

It would be really awesome if people who request a /32 actually did
their work properly and calculated how much space they really need.
"simply requesting a /32' is not the way to go and it will bite you at
one point or another. I'd really hate to see that an ISP goes back to an
RIR and is like "yeah we kinda like don't fit in a /32, can you give us
more" and then they go also like "yeah a /20 is good, but we won't
return the /32 as we can't renumber from that"

Thus please people requesting prefixes, make a plan first and don't just
do it for the next year. Ask here if wanted, there are a lot of people
(also who are not as nasty as me ;) who can help out there in making the
right decision.

Just like a lot of other things: when you have a question: ask the right
question and you will receive the right answer. Aka: be verbose.

Greets,
  Jeroen