6to4 relay and Teredo relay load - Bittorrent

james woodyatt jhw at apple.com
Sat Oct 13 18:07:03 CEST 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 02:35, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Be happy that they already have IPv6 implemented, BT might actually be
> one of the few things that might generate lots of traffic on IPv6.

Highly unlikely.  Ubiquitous IPv6 stateful packet filters that behave
the same way as the filters in IPv4/NAT gateways will give BitTorrent
users the same hassles on IPv6 as they currently endure on IPv4/NAT.
The incentive for BitTorrent users to migrate to IPv4 simply isn't
there unless they're willing to turn off those filters.

So far, there appears to be no let up in the demand for these filters
on IPv6.  It's possible that a long-term solution to this problem
might emerge in five or ten years, but I wouldn't expect much before
then.

--
james woodyatt <jhw at apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering