6to4 relay and Teredo relay load - Bittorrent

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Sat Oct 13 11:35:06 CEST 2007

[cc'd to ipv6-ops at lists.cluenet.de which contains network operators and
not the folks defining how to operate it]

Nathan Ward wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are any people operating 6to4 or Teredo relays publishing graphs of
> packetrate and bitrate through their relays?

I can only assume that it is less than 10mbit in most cases, this
looking at AMS-IX traffic graphs[1] and the ones from SixXS[2], the
latter being almost quite a large bit of the AMS-IX traffic graphs (even
has the same forms, which is quite funny). As AMS-IX is only doing
50mbit on peek time, when Teredo/6to4 traffic is more than 10mbit it
would be more amazing than Mars[3].

Of course this is a bit of guess work and Teredo/6to4 traffic might
partially avoid IX's or show up as IPv4 there.

It would be fun to get an analysis of a heavy box though. But I can only
assume that the usages are primarily: NNTP, bit of HTTP, SMTP and IRC.

> I've just observed my Bittorrent client (Azureus) doing what I assume is
> DHT (Distributed Hash Table) stuff over IPv6.
>
> The concern I have is that it's doing stuff from my 6to4 address to
> 'native' v6 addresses, and Teredo addresses - which would produce a
> higher load on the public relays for those protocols (probably).

If you don't want or can't handle the traffic then either:
 - limit how far your 6to4 relay announces itself in BGP
 - don't run it

and other similar options.

This is btw why I am not a big proponent of 6to4: as a network operator
you don't have much control over the path taken for packets by 6to4
hosts, nor who uses the relay in your network.

> ps. I'd actually planned on getting in touch with the Azureus guys and
> trying to get IPv6 integrated in to their client - but make it behave in
> such a way that it was nice to the relays, at least to start with. I was
> slack.

Be happy that they already have IPv6 implemented, BT might actually be
one of the few things that might generate lots of traffic on IPv6.
Current IPv6 traffic levels are simply pathetic.

For folks wanting to know which BitTorrent clients work over IPv6,
please check: http://www.sixxs.net/tools/tracker/clients/
That system also has an IPv6-only tracker service where people can
upload their files upto and it will be properly seeded for other folks
to download.

Greets,
 Jeroen

[1] http://www.ams-ix.net/technical/stats/sflow_stats_ipv6.html