Connectivity to Latin American NRENs

William F. Maton Sotomayor wmaton at ryouko.imsb.nrc.ca
Fri Oct 12 22:03:59 CEST 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 11-Oct-2007, at 0420, Gert Doering wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 02:33:26AM +0200, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
>>> this is my usual whining about the sad state of the global IPv6 routing
>>> in certain parts of the DFZ. Today's episode is about the mess one has
>>> to cross when trying to reach most educational destinations in Latin
>>> America as well as Canada. I've tried to reach someone responsible by
>>> mail for the last four weeks, but failed to get any response.
>>
>> Next week there's the NANOG meeting in the US.
>>
>> Is someone on this list who would volunteer to take this to NANOG, and
>> raise a stink^Wgood discussion on the topic?
>
> I'm not sure how many CANARIE people generally come to NANOG. A better bet is
> to raise the issue with Bill St Arnaud and see what he says.

Very, very few -if any- come out anymore as a general rule.  There was a
consensus some time back in the Canadian NREN community that NANOG didn't
relate to NREN work in Canada.

However, some of the stinky^Wgood discussions usually point somewhere to
Internet 2, although it was my understanding that this had been sorted
out.  I've also raised issues with CANARIE regarding access to IPv6
networks through the GEANT peering with some, albeit slower success.  I'm
not sure that it's a technical issue so much as a policy one at times.

But, they will listen, so feel free to contact 'eng -at- canarie dot ca'
to glean a response from them.

> As for other educational networks, I kind of doubt that NANOG is the right
> audience, since anybody there from an NREN is probably a researcher rather
> than a policymaker. But you never know, I guess. There are lightning talk
> slots open if people want to stand up and speak to the crowd.

There is sometimes one or two representing an Internet 2-connected org
that appears on the attendee list, but I don't know if that's the case
lately.

wfms