APNIC IPv6 transit exchange

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Nov 29 17:57:24 CET 2007

On 29 nov 2007, at 15:41, Jeroen Massar wrote:

>> but opposes to the idea
>> of the exchange of full routing tables between peers. full table
>> swaps
>> would lead to problems that rather delay successful deployment of
>> quality
>> IPv6. If that is really what APNIC is planing then i am concerned.

Note that that's not what APNIC is doing, although if people don't pay
attention this could easily be what ends up happening. Multilateral
peering means that a route server exchanges everything between
everyone. The members shouldn't be doing the same thing.

> What is not a win btw is setting up tunnels which send traffic to
> APNIC
> and then sending the traffic back over the same physical pipe, but
> different tunnel.

Good point. Some kind of multipoint tunnel, such as 6to4, would be
more appropriate here. That way, traffic from Japan to Thailand
doesn't have to go through Australia. We probably have some kind of
arcane IPv6 tunneling technique that is appropriate for this...Î