APNIC IPv6 transit exchange

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Thu Nov 29 16:07:54 CET 2007

On 29-Nov-2007, at 09:41, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> The big problem with New Zealand/Australia from what I understand is
> simply that it is very expensive to get transit at all, both IPv4 and
> IPv6.

I think it's actually easier than that; both regions are blessed with
small markets and dominant telcos who have little demonstrated
incentive to do anything new.

> But, I am looking from the other side of the planet where we have
> rather
> great connectivity thus I might be quite biased and also totally
> unaware
> of whatever other factors are in play down under :(

I spent some years chasing packets in the South Pacific (I seem to
think that the 6bone transit that we at CLEAR provided the University
of Canterbury in the late '90s might have been the first example of v6
transit delivered within New Zealand) but I've been away for the last
seven years, and so I'm not as informed as I once was.

I think it's reasonable to say that western Europe is far more
developed in most ways than either Australia or New Zealand, though,
in the context of Internet access. If APNIC's initiative helps build a
groundswell of demand for IPv6 transit, perhaps it will indeed be a
useful catalyst, regardless of the tromboning, latency and
encapsulation overhead it might incorporate.

Joe