Misc Q about IPv6 in enterprise

Eric Vyncke evyncke at cisco.com
Wed Nov 21 11:10:35 CET 2007

Not sure whether this list is also for enterprise deployment (actually a University)... so feel free to redirect me to a better alias.

We see a couple of glitches in our deployment:

1) some hosts still advertise a 6to4 prefix (2002::/16) through RA even when they are offered native IPv6 connectivity (so why the heck are they using 6to4 and why do they announce themselves as a router)

2) some hosts still try to use DHCPv6 (hence several IPv6 mcast to the link local DHCP servers & relays) even when the RA specifies 'autoconfigure'

3) the site receives a lot of UDP traffic (on ports like 24463 or 17557) from 2001::/32 (teredo) and 2002::/16 (6to4) with small packets... This means that the remote hosts are probably Windows machines but I really wonder what the protocol is. This happens over wifi so difficult to chase the user and wireshark has no clue...

Nothing really burning, but, I would welcome some light :-)

Thanks

Regards

-éric