IPv6 PI allocation

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu May 31 19:07:48 CEST 2007

On 31-mei-2007, at 5:57, Ruri Hiromi wrote:

> 1. Is there also a possibility of routing table explosion with IPv6
> due to PI? And do we have to solve the problem with a technical
> aspect?

The internet is becoming more and more important to more and more
people. So it's expected that more and more people will multihome, so
there will be more PI. The amount of trouble this causes depends on
how fast it happens.

> 3. Do we need other sophisticated auto aggregation technology for
> PI in routing protocols?

It would help... Have a look at the following and tell me what you
think:

http://www.muada.com/drafts/draft-van-beijnum-idle-00.txt

> 4. Do we have to be against the size of /48 as PI?

I don't think /48 is the best choice for this as it's the same prefix
length as what many PA customers will get, but the problems caused by
PI won't be prevented or solved by choosing a differentg prefix length.