BCP for multisite multihoming

Niels Bakker niels=cluenet at bakker.net
Wed May 23 02:25:23 CEST 2007

* iljitsch at muada.com (Iljitsch van Beijnum) [Wed 23 May 2007, 02:04 CEST]:
> UPS, Fedex, DHL and tons more of these guys all work with the same
> geographical addressing. They also all use their own ideas about what's
> the best routing in their own "networks". I got a package from DHL the
> other day. They sent it from New York to Brussels to The Hague. Most
> others send it through Amsterdam. They all get to decide all of this
> for themselves. But the important point is, that the driver in New York
> doesn't need a street map for The Hague for the package to arrive at my
> door.

Guess what?  Geographical areas are already laid out along geographical
areas.  The current Internet isn't.  Nor are IP addresses as heavy to
carry elsewhere as cities are.

> What's SFI-Peering?

Settlement-free interconnection

[..]
> easier to simply look at http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/geov6.txt

Where this text says "Ideally" I say "Will never happen."  It sounds
like an excellent scheme to keep startups away from established markets.

	-- Niels.