IPv6 PI allocation

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Fri May 18 16:23:30 CEST 2007

> Let me check... Available IPv4 address space as of right now: 1233
> million addresses. Obviously those aren't going to last THAT long,
> but for now, we have enough. So it makes sense that people continue
> deploying IPv4.

Let me check... Internet penetration growth on the African Continent...

Estimated population... 933 million people
Total Internet Users (estimated) 33.5 odd million
Usage growth between 2000 and 2007... 640%...

Hrm, ok, now, that's 899 million people....

Asia....

Total population: 3.712 billion...
Total penetration... 398 million...

Oh gee, that's... 3.3 billion people...

Global totals:

6.5 billion people on the planet, 1.1 billion people with net access... 5.4
billion people without addresses...

One address per every 4.something people?  We don't need more space?

Or wait, do the unaddressed portions of the world not matter?

Not to mention... cell phones, computers, house hold appliances... we still
don't need v4 space?

Then we can talk about the ipv4 depletion mathematical models... I suppose
Geoff's numbers mean nothing?  We ARENT facing depletion by end of 2009?

... I want your crystal ball... because its showing things the rest of us
aren't seeing...

</Sarcastic Rant>

Andrew

When I started with IPv6 the only thing I could do is ping6 and
traceroute6. These days, I can do most of my work running a
commercial out-of-the-box OS running just IPv6 as long as I have dual
stack proxy somewhere but it takes some manual tweaking. Give it
another few years and people aren't even going to notice whether they
have IPv4 or IPv6 connectivity.