IPv6 PI allocation

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Fri May 18 16:00:32 CEST 2007

On 18-mei-2007, at 15:28, Gert Doering wrote:

>> IPv6 deployment isn't a goal.

> So what's the goal then?

The continued operation of the internet.

When I connect to www.ietf.org port 80, do I really care whether the
connection is made over IPv6 or IPv4?

(Ok, I care somewhat. First of all, if I didn't, I wouldn't be here,
and second of all, the fact that IPv6 doesn't work for me today for
that destination makes looking up RFCs a lot slower.)

> Last time I looked, IPv4 was going to run out,

Right. I had an amusing discussion the other day with a journalist
who thought I was insane because I said we could be running out of v4
space five years from now.

> and half of the planet
> still has no access to IP networking.  "We need more addressess, and
> quickly so!"

Let me check... Available IPv4 address space as of right now: 1233
million addresses. Obviously those aren't going to last THAT long,
but for now, we have enough. So it makes sense that people continue
deploying IPv4.

When I started with IPv6 the only thing I could do is ping6 and
traceroute6. These days, I can do most of my work running a
commercial out-of-the-box OS running just IPv6 as long as I have dual
stack proxy somewhere but it takes some manual tweaking. Give it
another few years and people aren't even going to notice whether they
have IPv4 or IPv6 connectivity.