IPv6 PI allocation

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Fri May 18 13:49:06 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 10:13:38AM +0200, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> IMHO the assumption of a large amount of hosts sharing a medium is
> IPv6's largest failing. It will never happen again -- but of course we
> can emulate it.

Huh? I don't see that assumption anywhere. The /64 for hosts isn't so
much "we expect trillions of hosts per subnet" so much as it is "we'd
like to make host-address uniqueness trivial, oh and we'd like to be
able renumber lots for privacy reasons without collissions, oh and we'd
like to avoid ever having to renumber a lan just because it was too
small at time of inception".

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net