IPv6 PI allocation

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri May 18 10:13:38 CEST 2007

CM> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 02:27:25PM -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:

>> If we are going to use 128 bit addresses then we need to be able to
>> route all 128 bits in silicon.

CM> I don't see why. My definition of "routing" is anything which
CM> results in a ttl being decremented. Don't see why L2 switching
CM> can't pick up the last 64 bits.

L2 switching is silly, since all non-WLAN links today are
point-to-point. We can keep inventing new ways to emulate thinnet, but
it gets increasingly pointless.

IMHO the assumption of a large amount of hosts sharing a medium is
IPv6's largest failing. It will never happen again -- but of course we
can emulate it.

/Benny