IPv6 PI allocation

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Fri May 18 13:47:16 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 07:53:28AM +0200, Roger J?rgensen wrote:
> On fre, mai 18, 2007 01:40, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> That leave us with 32-3-(32-29) = 26... the highest amount of network
> available are something around 2^26. It's not _that_ many really.

That's higher than my number! I was more conservative and said 2^21.
Even 2^26 is a effectively an AS per 5 people on the planet, even if the
population quadruples within the lifetime of IPv6, that's one per 20
people on the planet. As I said, it's not a bet I'd take, I like
overprovisioning by orders of magnitude, but that should really bring
home how ridiculously big the number space is. Oh, and even if we
totally mess up, we've burned a /3, there's a few more where that came
from.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net