IPv6 PI allocation

Roger Jorgensen rogerj at jorgensen.no
Fri May 18 09:21:21 CEST 2007

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Gert Doering wrote:
<snip>
> Something to remember - Nick Hilliard has said this already: right now,
> we need to do what's necessary to make IPv6 take off in the next 2-3
> years.   If it means "30.000 IPv6 prefixes in the global BGP table in
> 10 years" - so be it, the routers will be able to handle it, by then
> (given that they need to handle 300.000+ IPv4 prefixes).

We´re going to regret this later but yes, we might not have any other
options since the timeline is 2-3years... So if PI is what is needed to
get IPv6 of the ground, so be it. Hand out PI. But if that fail as the
tool to get IPv6 flying I would say the need for PI ain´t as big as people
claim it is.