IPv6 PI allocation

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu May 17 14:50:06 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 04:12:23PM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino 2.0 wrote:
> 	i was checking RIPE presentations, and found this presentation rather
> 	disturbing.
> 	http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-54/presentations/IPv6_Routing_Table.pdf
> 	on page 13, it says that there re 100 /48 prefixes announced worldwide.
> 	among them, 50 are PI allocations, which means 5% of the total # of
> 	prefixes (it is below 1000).

There must be a misunderstanding with these numbers.

There are indeed 130 /48s visible in the BGP table seen at AS5539, but
only 6 of them (!!) are due to IPv6 PI - the rest is IXPs, root nameservers,
"critical infrastructure" and deaggregation.

(Of course one could call all these special-case prefixes "PI", as they
*are* provider-independent - in that case, we indeed have 42 "PI-like"
routes in the BGP table).

Regarding this specific discussion, whether we need IPv6 PI as opposed
to "we can't afford IPv6 PI" - I will stay out of this, and will only
evaluate community consensus regarding whether we "need" IPv6 PI in
the RIPE region.  The ARIN region has come to that conclusion already.

Something to remember - Nick Hilliard has said this already: right now,
we need to do what's necessary to make IPv6 take off in the next 2-3
years.   If it means "30.000 IPv6 prefixes in the global BGP table in
10 years" - so be it, the routers will be able to handle it, by then
(given that they need to handle 300.000+ IPv4 prefixes).

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  113403

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279