IPv6 PI allocation

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu May 17 23:05:42 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 09:12:53PM +0200, Andrew Alston wrote:
> In a world with no IPv4, where all IPv6 is P.A on very large boundaries...
> how financially viable are the RIR's when doing far far less allocations?
>
> I may be way off here, but if you only do P.A assignments, will the models
> the RIR's work on not have to change... drastically... in order for them to
> still function?

Depends on the funding model.  In RIPE land, you don't pay "once for the
allocation", but you pay a yearly fee.  The yearly fee somewhat corresponds
(very much simplified) to the amount of address space that you hold.

So this model would continue working.

At the same time, the RIRs would save on hostmaster costs, so the expenses
are a bit lower...

(And, of course, PI addresses and AS numbers would still be given out)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  113403

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279