Five Security Flaws in IPv6

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sun May 13 18:49:47 CEST 2007

On 10-mei-2007, at 8:17, Gert Doering wrote:

> Spread the current Geoff Huston numbers.  If his math is right, IPv4
> from the IANA pool will run out in December 2009.

The number of /8s in the IANA global pool by the end of the year:

         in use  free    +/-
2000    118     103
2001    125      96      7
2002    129      92      4
2003    134      87      5
2004    143      78      9
2005    156      65     13
2006    166      55     10

So we'd have to use up 55 /8s in 3 years (2007, 2008 and 2009) = 18 /
8s a year = 307 million addresses/year, which is nearly twice what
we've been doing the past two years (170 million). Not likely, unless
IANA starts giving the RIRs much more than what the RIRs give to LIRs.

Note though that we are on track for around 200 million but the
figures for this year so far are a little skewed because BBN gave
back one of their 3 /8s (the other two went to Level3).