Question about "proper" way to run v6/v4 website

Niels Bakker niels=cluenet at bakker.net
Wed May 2 02:27:16 CEST 2007

* dougb at dougbarton.us (Doug Barton) [Tue 01 May 2007, 23:47 CEST]:
> On Tue, 1 May 2007, Gert Doering wrote:
[..]
>> Specific example: if our customers use our recursive DNS service,
>> our DNS *will* use v6 queries (if the target DNS server has v6
>> connectivity), but about 95% of our customers do not have v6
>> connectivity yet, so they would not be able to reach the destination.
>
> Since you and Matyas had basically the same question, I'll chose this
> one to respond to. I actually have an answer to your question, but
> first I have a question for you. What operational goal are you trying
> to accomplish by configuring your DNS in that way? And no, this is not
> a theoretical question. We are, as has been stated before, in a
> transition period, and the transition isn't going to go any further
> than it has (which isn't much) if we can't come up with real solutions
> to the problems people are currently experiencing.

It seems like a no-brainer to me to configure a nameserver to have the
ability to query using both address families as both are being used on
the Internet today.

Responding with different answers in the face of a forwarding chain of
unknown length sounds like a bad idea.  The same reason applies to
answering differently based on source IPv4 address: not everybody uses
the nameserver closest to them (think e.g. of corporate VPNs of
enterprises spanning multiple countries).

	-- Niels.