[ipv6-wg] IPv6 Deployment Panel at ICANN, Lisbon

Dimitrios Kalogeras D.Kalogeras at noc.ntua.gr
Mon Mar 26 15:09:06 CEST 2007

Pekka Savola wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Pekka,

You are right RIPE-DB had some incapabilities at that time. However
rtconfig had  serious lack of concrete support for RPSLng in tools.

I don't know whether we are facing a chicken-egg problem, where
operators are reluctant to through away hardwired policies because there
are not proven quality tools. and tools do not evolve beacuse we do not
use them !.

regards,

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Dimitrios Kalogeras wrote:
>> I am trying to figure out the reason for that. Well It is not my
>> surprise that ISPs have not yet adopted the RPSLng for documenting their
>> new IPv6 routing policies. So we are stuck by hardwired policies which
>> are not be propagated in routing filters.
>
> Just as a data-point: many networks received their allocation before the
> RIPE DB supported route6 objects (thus couldn't add them, and have
> forgotten to do so after the support was added) or simply haven't known
> route6 objects should be added too.  I believe in many cases the
> operators would be willing to add the objects if approached with a
> gentle reminder.
>
> Maybe someone should send such reminders?  It'd maybe be best if RIPE
> NCC could do this, but I'm not sure if such operational checks are
> within their current toolbox..

I am not sure whether the route monitor project could aid in this direction.

Regards,
Dimitrios K. Kalogeras

Electrical Engineer, Ph.D.
Network Engineer
NTUA/GR-Net Network Management Center
icq:   11887484
voice: +30-210-772 1863
fax:     +30-210-772 1866
e-mail: D.Kalogeras at noc.ntua.gr
pub   1024D/0E421B50 2007-01-17 [expires: 2008-01-17] Dimitrios
Kalogeras (dkalo) <D.Kalogeras at noc.ntua.gr>
      Key fingerprint = F8C8 7B67 74A4 1F82 CDDF 8554 E1EF 7FAE 0E42 1B50
PGP-KEY: http://ajax.noc.ntua.gr/~dkalo/dkalo_pgp.txt